Glanbia Ireland is committed to a sustainable, viable future for all. We have made significant changes and improvements within our business. We continue to work in partnership with our farmers, our suppliers, our customers and our communities to achieve much more.
With this in mind, we have established very strong working relationships with researchers, with government and other agencies and with independent consultants. We are expanding our skills base. We are working in partnership to develop and embrace new technologies, to help us achieve our sustainability goals and deliver on our Living Proof promise.
Family Farm Sustainability Initiatives
- 98% of dairy suppliers certified under the Bord Bia Sustainable Dairy Assurance Scheme (SDAS).
- 24,500 calves enrolled on the Gogeca award-winning Twenty20 Beef Club which has an ambition to enrol 50,000 animals per year.
- 96% participation in the Agricultural Sustainability Support and Advisory Programme (ASSAP) which provides advice to farmers on addressing water quality issues.
- 100% finance available under the FarmGen solar energy farm initiative through the existing Glanbia Ireland FundEquip Scheme.
- 81,000 native Irish trees and hedgerow units planted between December 2020 and April 2021.
- 1,600 members of the public signed up to the Pollinator Pledge.
- 2,500 packs of wildflower seeds were distributed free of charge.
- Over 1,200 entries received in the Colour Me Wild inter-schools colouring competition from pupils nation-wide.
Animal Health and Welfare
- 3,000 dairy farms that supply milk for the Truly Grass Fed range are certified Animal Welfare Approved by A Greener World.
The Glanbia Ireland Avonmore brand has moved 12 million 1.75 litre cartons from fossil fuel plastics to plant-based plastics.
In Our Communities
- FoodCloud: Since joining FoodCloud in 2018, Glanbia Ireland has donated 199.8 tonnes of food under the initiative, equating to more than 475,000 meals, 639 tonnes of avoided CO2 and a staggering €599,000 worth of food.
- €1 million raised for Breast Cancer Ireland by Glanbia through Great Pink Run 2020, Plant Pink, Pink Bales etc.
- €51,000 raised through Glanbia Two Peaks Mountain Climb in 2020.
- Glanbia 300 Cycle has raised over €280,000 for a number of charities over the past 7 years.
- Glanbia Ireland’s farmers were contributors to the Irish Red Cross Yemen Appeal through which ICOS raised €190,000.
- Significant supporters of the Gaelic Athletics Association (GAA) and Camogie Ireland, festival and community events across the South East of Ireland.
Energy Sustainability Initiatives
- 100% of manufacturing sites certified to ISO14001 (Environment Management System).
- 100% of ingredient manufacturing sites certified to ISO5001 (Energy Management System).
- 100% green electricity consumption at manufacturing sites.
- Have cut carbon emissions from operations by 45% since 2000.
Glanbia Ireland is partnering with a number of sustainability programmes and initiatives seeking to address the sustainability challenges facing our business today to ensure we achieve our commitments to farming, food and the future.
Glanbia Ireland and its farm family suppliers have hit their Operation Biodiversity tree-planting target a year early.
Avonmore has switched to paper straws on its milk supplies for over 240 schools nation-wide
FarmGen, Glanbia Ireland’s Solar PV Power Bundle has now been installed on family farms across 13 counties in Glanbia Ireland’s catchment area
FarmGen’s Solar PV rooftop systems help power energy-intensive processes on farm, reducing the costs of milk cooling, vacuum pumps and water heating – the three processes which account for around 80% of total milk parlour energy consumption.